"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Green

I am trying to finish this stupid paper so I can start on another stupid paper (okay, 4 papers). Anyways, I'm listening to my iTunes, and this song randomly popped up. It's fantastic, and I have no idea how it came to be in my iTunes. The song is "Postcards from Italy" by a band called Beirut, from the album Gulag Orkestar. May I please share it with you? Email me for a copy. These are the lyrics, although it is the music that really caught my attention.

The times we had
Oh, when the wind would blow with rain and snow
Were not all bad
We put our feet just where they had
Had to go
Never to go

The shattered soul
Following close but nearly twice as slow
Were my good times
There were always golden rocks to throw
At those who
Those who admit defeat too late
Those were our times
Those were our times

And I will love to see that day
That day is mine
When she will marry me
Outside with the willow trees
And playing songs in May
What made me so
And I would love to see that day
The day was mine

In other news, today is a very cold one in Louisville. It feels more like autumn than spring. We had a cold front move in, brought by a beautiful storm last night that promised, with its rain smells and fierce wind, many excellent spring days proceeded by many summer storms. It was magical; the sky was fairly bright but ominous green too; the rain came down in sheets in a way that only happens really in movies anymore. At twilight, it seemed an appropriate time to let loose this intense weather; the sunny, hot day that preceded its advent scarcely hinted at what would come. I was transported; my neighborhood became a new place under the seige of that incredible rain and colour and movement. ...But such is the power of water and weather. So, blessings to you and yours. Buena suerte con todo y vaya con Dios, de siempre.

No comments: