"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Friday, October 31, 2008

No more food wars

So, my mom sent me this article Michael Pollan wrote in the NY Times last week. Perhaps you've already seen it--I'm just now catching up on my non-work-related email...

Anyhoo. Michael Pollan, as we all know, is THE MAN. Not like, "Damn the man; save the empire," but like, "You da MAN." I had the extreme honor of hearing him speak at UofL earlier this year and he was AWESOME. It was shortly before I took my first trip to San Francisco (where he lives and works. Well, Berkeley might as well be SF from where I live and look), when I finally understood what it truly means to be a "foodie." The farmer's markets alone are AMAZING, to say nothing of the restaurants, juice bars, and cafes that flourish throughout the city. We truly don't know how underdeveloped KY is. And we have so much potential! We have great land here, and a sense of community not found in other states of similar size.

We should use these existing benefits to GO LOCAL with our food. I mean, a LOT more than Louisville already is (or is trying to be at the whole foods stores). We should petition grocery stores to stop carrying out-of-season foods and to use KY farm products FIRST (or ONLY). Then we don't have to worry about the carbon impact of importing fruit from Honduras. Then we don't have to worry about NAFTA or CAFTA or neo-cons. Then we can improve KY's economy, even without hemp being relegalized! We won't have to worry about how much gas our fruits were given to ripen and color them once the arrive at the store. We can shorten the food chain immensely, and know the faces of the people who grow and pick our food for us. THAT is truly American: agriculture, community, honesty, simplicity, self-sufficiency.

NO MORE FAKE FOOD! NO MORE FREE TRADE!!!!!!

1 comment:

Katie said...

After I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, I've been trying to eat local food too. It's hard enough with fruits and vegetables, but I've been all about the farmers market and the stuff my aunt doesn't use from her CSA. I've only bought produce at the grocery a couple of times this summer and fall and then I've read the labels super carefully.

It's pretty much impossible with everything else, though. I find the thought of not knowing where my food comes from pretty scary- and it gets scarier when that information is totally unavailable.

Sometimes I'm grateful to live in one of the more progressive neighborhoods in this city... And then I read about places that have curbside compost pick up and multiple vegan restaurants and I realize it's totally relative.

I hope you're doing well, and it would be nice to see you sometime...

Katie