"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Is this foreboding?

Horoscope du jour:

When we have found our path, we naturally want to start to walk down it, Clare. The reverse isn't true despite what you seem to believe. It is quite futile to learn how to walk when you don't know which path to walk upon. This may seem a little obtuse to you and yet it is true. It is desire that creates aptitude and not the reverse.


Is this ominous? Does it portend failure in my nascent Spanish graduate student career? Argh. This little paragraph gives words to my ongoing problem with Spanish: it is not Spanish itself which gives me fulfillment. It is not the culture, or the language, which thrills me and compels me to learn. Rather, it is what doors the knowledge of Spanish opens for me which inspire my desire to learn more; it is the ability to travel, to communicate, and the love of language itself which interests me. Which is why I worry about this whole graduate program business. Everyone is already asking, "What are you going to do with your MA in Spanish?" and my answer is, "I don't know, but I know it won't be the groundwork for a higher degree in Spanish." I don't want to teach Spanish as a career, although I do enjoy the academic life.

All I know is, I am looking forward to the opportunity to work at the University, build some professional experience, and attain a graduate degree. That's why I'm doing what I'm doing. I am loyal, and smart, and I learn quickly. I know I am equal to the task... yet I wonder if what I will learn will have more to do with intra-departmental politics, university machinations, and how to teach introductory classes, than anything about Spanish language or Latino culture which will inspire desire in me. I go with an open mind, but my horoscope says that's not enough. Aptitude can never create desire, eh? Well, we'll see. And even if the MA program doesn't create desire for Spanish in me, at least it will help me choose a next step for my life. And in the meantime, my aptitude will introduce the opportunity to learn, my drive to succeed will concrete the attainment of my goals... even if my aptitude for Spanish will not inspire passion for it by itself.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh, the "what are you going to do with your degree?" people. I guess it's what people say when they don't know what to say, but it reflects a certain idea of education. It reminds me of this article actually...
http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/2008/07/31/should-students-major-in-turfgrass-science.html

I wish you the best of luck on the path you're about to walk.

Anonymous said...

As Sr. Joan Chittester has been quoted as saying in response to people who boorishly miss the point, "Don't let the bastards get you down."

I've been asked the "What are you going to do with your degree?" question all my life, and it took me a long time to realize that the people who ask that question care less about the answer than about being superficially polite or, worse, making a not-so-subtle putdown.

The fact is you don't have to explain yourself, so don't. Lewis Black might say something like, "I don't know. What did you do with your grade school diploma?" Or you could choose to be warily polite, Miss-Manners-style: "Thanks for being concerned about my future. I'm simply following a passion I have right now--what's yours?"

love,
dad