"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Found Poem

I am cleaning off my desk this morning and I found this poem I wrote last year. It's a sentiment I still feel truly and deeply, and although it's not much of a poem, it's a useful mantra for when I start letting the world in too much. And really, I post it more to have an electronic copy than for any desire for anyone to read it. Really. My poetry... isn't.

My life has been knee-jerk
automatic responses to
questions I was capable of thinking through
myself

Pavlov's dog of a decision-maker
¿Was it the chicken of self-doubt
or the egg of overwhelmedness
that came first?

I can think
I can decide
I can take time
--keep time
--live outside time, even
I don't have to pressure myself
I can do it
I can think
I can live a better way

(written February 1 2007)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I for one, am glad that you found it. It works for me.

Write on, babycakes.