"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Why I Shan't Be Voting for John McCain

Don't get me wrong; I don't mean to say that I think he's a horrible person. On the contrary, the thing that most recommends McCain to me is my impression of his credibility. Unlike my opinion of most politicians, I think John McCain actually says what he means and does what he says. That's also why I won't vote for him. Fuck if I'd vote for a man who says the following--and believes it!

- It "would be fine with me" if America kept a military presence in Iraq for 100 years.

- Asked last year about Iran's nuclear ambitions, he jokingly sang the words "Bomb, bomb, bomb. Bomb, bomb Iran" to the tune of the Beach Boys hit "Barbara Ann".

- On Israel, McCain offers unqualified support, expressed in years of public statements.

- He has the endorsement of pro-Israel icon Joseph Lieberman, the independent senator from Connecticut.

- He has the endorsement of former New York mayor Rudolph Giuliani.

- McCain has met every Israeli prime minister since Menachem Begin and backed Israel during the 2006 Lebanon war.

- He opposes restrictions on assault rifles.

- He wants to "bring democracy" to the rest of the world.

- McCain was endorsed by John Bolton, the former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.

- He has made it very clear that the best way to deal with Iran is an effective sanctions regime, but is willing to attack them "if necessary."
* * *
I must admit, however, these points in his favor:

- He voted against amending the constitution to prohibit same-sex marriage.

- He is against having English be the national language (because of Native American languages, not because it's distinctly un-American to declare a national language).

- McCain voted YES on giving Guest Workers a path to citizenship.

- His work on Campaign Finance Reform.

- Rush Limbaugh and James Dobson rail against him.
* * *
See, McCain resists spin like an electron beam. I like that. But he is a crazy motherfucker about the military! What the what! In short: Scheunemann, a longtime McCain adviser, said the senator "rejects any other label than a `consistent conservative'." I like the 'consistent' part, but I can't abide the 'conservative' part.

No comments: