"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Rant, with picture


This is a picture I took last week when I had a moment to myself and I went to Java Brewing on 4th and read some homework articles. It was rainy and cool and there were so many beautiful people everywhere. I had a little Thomas Merton moment as I realized I loved all these people, and saw the beauty oozing from each one of them, to be soaked up by others or by me. It is the very same corner where Merton had his revelation. He was a bit of allright, I think.

IN COMPLETELY UNRELATED NEWS, a rant!:
Right. It's amazing how difficult it is to have time to oneself during the week. I literally feel as if I've got no time at all. Although, I really shouldn't frame things that way, you know. I have loads of free time on Thursdays, I just usually fill it up with appointments or coffees and cetera and cetera. Oh, what a coincidence: TODAY is Thursday.... I love checking in here and just allowing myself time to write. This happy occurrence is, however, overshadowed by my own OCDness which creates all these dramas and traumas where there ought to be only bliss. For example, writing in the blog = Clare happier. However, writing in the blog also = stress about dial-up internet (tying up the line, in other words) & stress about "you ought to be checking items off your to-do list of homework instead of writing. I wish I could get course credit for writing in my blog.... ¡Oi, dios mio! I do believe I just implied I ought to be an English major! My sworn enemy in academic choices!

Perhaps I ought to elaborate. I've got major huge issues with a few things in my professional/academic path: (1) I do not want to be a teacher (both parents = teachers AND I am married to a teacher); (2) I do not want to be an English major because I do not want to be an "English person" as everyone assumes I am. After almost every first paper I turn in for a class, I am asked by my professor, "So you're an English major, right?" NO! I'm not! It's possible to be a good writer and NOT be an English major! ¡Dios! Some people just happen to write well who also happen to be interested in other things, such as foreign languages, such as women's rights, such as sexuality and politics and philosophy. Ahem!

I interject here, by the way, to mention that I do at least find it flattering that professors tend to think highly of my writing; I certainly am proud of whatever skill I have for the written word. Nevertheless--nevertheLESS!--I don't think it's fair to pigeonhole good writers to the realm of English. Seems quite limiting, at least for my interests. I realize as I write this that my husband was an English major and does teach English, that my best friend is an amazing writer and majored in English, and that I am having coffee this morning with a writer whom I very much admire and who teaches writing. I mean not to insult those who feel at home in the English Department and add to its merits by their participation. I merely want to state, out loud, for the record (sorry, My Morning Jacket...hahaheh?), that I want to choose another path than being an "English person." I also want professors to stop framing the question as "You're an English major, right?" And at least say "You write so well. I'm curious to know what your major is." if not say, simply, "Could you tell me what your major is?"

Sorry I have nothing more profound to add at this moment. I've gotta go write an abstract for my anthropology final and get Joe ready for and off to school. Thanks for reading. I anticipate writing about spring break soon. Hopefully this weekend, in between planning for the Silent Auction for Birth in the Bluegrass and writing a research paper on women's birthing choices in the US.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, when I had a certain Great Books teacher in high school, one of the first things he asked me after I turned in a paper was, "Did you go to Catholic school?" (Nope.)--apparently due to reasons of general clarity. But that question was only a one-time event rather than a never-ending hassle. I will never ask you if you've become an English major!...but I might someday be curious to know if you identify at all with its more global relation, Comparative Lit!

Clare said...

comparative lit seems pretty allright to me, although i wouldn't want to major in it, either. i do, though, think it's especially interesting when taken as a more specified way to explore the field of linguistics. as for Thomas, i can only say that all teachers make assumptions (no Catholic school pun intended) based on their students' writing, and they probably all have some truth to them. they don't have to be thought of in such a wway as to stereotype or put someone in a particular box, though, eh?
Hope you're well, Michelle, by the way. :) thinking of you.