"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Monday, March 13, 2006

¡Descanso de primavera! (Spring Break!)

I'm on Spring Break! Yay, oh the infinite happiness. At the moment I'm listening to Iggy Pop's "Family Affair" and drinking a lot of coffee. I'm all alone in my house, it's quite rainy outside, and I'm just sitting at my computer being efficient. I've sent out meeting updates for BirthCare Network and Honors Student Council, I've created abstracts, I've been phoning the BCN president and doing planning for the Silent Auction at Birth in the Bluegrass. Go me! It's nice to feel completely in control of one's schedule, and to have large stretches of time in which to get the ball rolling and really develop trains of thought. Usually I have to switch gears so often that much of my productivity gets lost in the schuffle. It's nice to be in one place for hours and hours, even if I do have to wait for dial-up internet speeds to catch up to me.

Spring Break quite agrees with me. I am sleeping much better, and have decided to be mostly vegan again. I am back to my rule to only eat when hungry, which means I am eating much less often, since I hardly ever feel hunger pangs. When I do eat, I try to be as vegan as possible, although SMALL bits of cheese are acceptable as garnish, and eggs seem to agree with me, so I eat them in moderation. I am trying to stay away from refined sugar as much as possible, although I admit that I am still putting Coffeemate creamer (read: cancer in a bottle) in my coffee. I think I have already lost weight, as my pants seem looser. However, I refuse to weigh myself, as it is unwaveringly depressing to do so.

Also in celebration of the liberation afforded by Spring Break, I have begun doing some pleasure reading for the first time all semester! I have begun reading Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things: What Categories Reveal About the Mind by George Lakoff, and Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. One non-fiction book, one fiction: gotta keep a balance. I also plan to clean up as much of the basement as I can deal with, and maybe even create a little private space for myself down there! And I am going to Bloomington (Indiana, that is) on Wednesday, which I anticipate with much eagerness, because I will be visiting my beloved kindred spirit friend, Elizabeth. All happiness... I can't wait. I also can't wait to give the highlights of the trip here later in the week.

In other news, I would like to share something. I make a CD for myself every year on my birthday to remind myself of all the songs that were significant to me in that year of my life, so that I can refer to them in the future and reminisce auditorily. My songlist this year is so far comprised así:

Wild Witch Lady by Donovan
Never Been to Spain by Three Dog Night
What's My Age Again? by Blink 182
Psycho Killer by the Talking Heads
Town Called Malice by the Jam
Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush
Hounds of Love by Kate Bush
It's Not the Fall That Hurts by the Caesars
Bilingual Girl by Yerba Buena
Hey Rose by Girlyman
Maori by Girlyman
Treasure Island by Nick Harper
Everlasting Sea by Donavan

--not necessarily in that order, mind you. Anyhoo. That's just a sample of what I've been listening to and importing to my brain and my life.

I've gotta go be happy now. It's SPRING BREAK!
Yay.

No comments: