"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Oh, no, he di'in

I heart John Yarmuth. He is much more in-line with my politics than Anne Northup--or any other politician ever put forth for election by any part of Kentucky, to my knowledge. HOWEVER, apparently even Ol' Yarmuth has his limits. Effing politics. Check out his pussy-footing below (and when I say "pussy-footing," I specifically mean to invoke the behaviour of my cat, Frances, who is the stupidest and jumpiest, most psychotic, illogical cat alive):

Thank you for writing to share your deep concern with the Bush Administration. I firmly believe that this President’s policies have led this country in the wrong direction, and share your commitment to holding this Administration accountable.

Like you, I am deeply troubled by the actions taken in the past six years by the Bush Administration. Considering the moral imperatives of this moment in history -- ending the involvement of U.S. forces in the Iraq War, providing the American people with secure and affordable health care, reducing the cost of college for our children, and even ratcheting back executive power that this Administration has abused – the Democratic leadership has concluded that an attempt to impeach President Bush or Vice President Cheney would make these goals even harder to achieve.

House leaders believe that given our slim majorities in the House and Senate, any effort to bring articles of impeachment against the President or Vice President will not succeed, will further divide a nation in critical need of unity, and gridlock the chambers from enacting desperately needed legislation. That being said, I believe Congress has a constitutional responsibility to do everything in its power to conduct extensive oversight of this Administration and ensure accountability.

I asked to serve on the Oversight and Government Reform Committee specifically to perform this duty. My colleagues and I have already investigated the travesties at Walter Reed Hospital, the outing of CIA agent Valerie Plame, government outsourcing issues, the Pat Tillman Fratricide, Surgeon General Independence, White House use of private e-mail accounts, and a host of other issues you can find at the committee's website (http://oversight.house.gov/investigations.asp).

While I look forward to the end of their time in the White House, it is clear that with the new Congress, the Executive’s power has been diminished. Please be assured I will continue to aggressively investigate this administration and continually fight against the secrecy and corruption that has defined the Bush presidency.

No comments: