"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

All hepped up on Hershey's kisses

Dude. It's been 10 days since I wrote in this mutha'. Much has occurred, most noteworthy of which was the utter ridiculousness of the plumbing in my house. FINALLY we have this resolved ($600+ dollars later), and I can get back to normal things, like freaking out about time management, over-taxing myself with too many projects, craving chocolate, watching America's Next Top Model, pining for sushi, etc... You know, the usual.

In addition to all this, school has started and is going allright. I still am behind on my thesis; I am for the first time truly understanding how central theory is to anthropology, as I grope to narrow the theory which will inform my paper. Argh. Also, my bilingualisms class is going to be sweet-ass: the text is amazing and we get to do lots of hands-on stuff, projects, presentations etc. GOOD TIMES. I simply must repeat to myself "Soy la alfa, soy la alfa... ¿Quién es la alfa? ¡¡¡¡SOY YO!!!! Claro claro claro." I also really like my Arabic class, although it is definitely the hardest language I've attempted so far. Not being Indo-European, Arabic poses the longest stretch of my brain power since literacy. I'm learning a new alphabet and a whole new linguistic structure. It's challenging, but rewarding. And my good friend, Jared, is in the class with me, which just makes it that much better.

And finally, but not leastly, I am working as a Learning Assistant again, this time for Dr. Parkhurst (aka THE SHIZIT. the man is amazing). Here is a photo of me at REACH training, so I can re-learn how to be an appropriate LA and representative of REACH and the University:

(that's me in the middle, looking gansta--uh, my way of saying "professorial," in other words.)

In short, kids: welcome back to the semester; welcome back to the grind. Ain't it grand?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you crack me up. i miss you :(