"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Saturday, January 19, 2008

My Soapbox about Circumcision

WARNING: Read no further if the words "genital mutilation" make you uncomfortable.


toothpastefordinner.com

This webcomic encapsulates in a very amusing way my essential feelings about circumcision (as practiced upon males routinely in the United States). In fact, I think circumcision is more accurately identified as genital mutilation. This is strong language, I know, and is arguably too strong. I say it is arguable because usual, male, United Statesian circumcision is not as damaging, most times, as female genital mutilation (FGM). With FGM procedures a woman is rendered incapable of orgasm, whereas with (most/successful) male genital mutilation, men may still achieve orgasm--thus the perpetuation of our species can still proceed. So, many people think the term "genital mutilation" should refer only to the alteration of the genitalia such that it removes the physical capability of orgasm. However, I feel that any alteration of the genitalia is mutilation. The removal of living body parts for cultural reasons is completely stupid to me, not to mention immoral where it removes the ability to experience orgasm.

Why would people just chop off parts of the skin of a baby for no apparent reason? The American Academy of Pediatrics does not classify circumcision as medically necessary. So why is it so prevalent in the United States? The reasons are various. For example, Jews usually participate in circumcision because of historical/traditional precedent. I personally don't think that makes it right, but at least there is a reason for it. This rationale is less confusing to me than when Christian, atheist, or simply secular American parents decide to circumcise their children. They seem to have motivations such as, "It's cleaner that way;" "It'll be easier for him to handle and take care of;" "I don't want him to feel 'different';" "I want his to look like his father's." What kind of logic is that? It isn't, is the answer. Cultural norms that advocate circumcision do not equal real evidence that is is beneficial. In fact, circumcision only became routine in male hospital births in the 1950s. This was the same era in which women were encouraged, for the first time, to feed thir babies milk formula instead of breastmilk, and to stop co-sleeping, and encouraged the institution of routine cesarean sections--a major abdominal surgery. (Babies cannot be born laproscopically!)

And as for the religious/philosophical freedom defense: I don't think that a parent's religious practices morally condone mutilating the most sensitive part of a boy's (or girl's) body. Parents are charged with the responsibility to protect their children, not endanger them or alter their bodies. Therefore, any notion of cultural relativism should not be used to continue to support this demeaning and futile practice. At the same time, I don't think this is the kind of thing that should be made illegal. First of all, legal action never effectively counteracts an entrenched cultural practice. Cultural practices only change from within, and legal remedies come from without. The decision whether or not to circumcise, therefore, remains a personal one, and a deeply personal one at that. That is why in my capacity as a doula, I never counsel parents against circumcision, but rather keep my own opinions to myself. If prompted for my opinion, I frame it as a a personal choice that I would personally not make for my child. I also discuss the health risks of the surgery and point out that it is medically unnecessary, but that it is at the same time something every family has to decide upon individually. It is not something to do routinely, i.e. randomly.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clarey, I'm afraid I'm going to circumcise my kid if it's a male. I do have a reason other than conforming to social norms though: I think uncircumcised willies are gross. Were I were a woman, I would not want that nasty thing inside of me! I suppose I don't see it as any more immoral than cutting a kid's toenails or hair, all permanence aside.

FredR said...

My Parents circumcised all 7 of their sons, not the 2 daughters. No major incidents happened to us boys from the surgery. At a very young age I saw the neighbor's son's intact willy. I perceived it as attractive. Growing up Catholic I used to think God was punishing me for having Homosexual thoughts by keeping me erectile dysfunctional. In my 40's I researched E. D. and found out that Catholic doctors during routine neonatal circumcision, cut the frenulum delta nerves, aka the Gee string, to cause masturbation dysfunction because they are taught that it is evil. There was mention of sexual dysfunction in my first brother's suicide note. My second brother to commit suicide was the only male that read the 1st brothers note. They were both straight, in their late twenties. Two of my younger straight brothers developed schizophrenia by their late twenties, so I did research on that subject, and found out that the common factor in schizo-dissorders in men and women is sexual trauma in the childhood years. It's not inherent genes but inherent traditions, both from the parents.

If you are going to have your child circumcised as an infant, you should make yourself aware of the functions of the male and female prepuce so you can teach the doctor not to cut the frenulum nerves and to use pain killers to overt any possible delayed PTSD's that can surface after puberty as erectile dysfunction, suicidal depression, and sexual brain chemistry malfunctions.

My dad's Y chromosome will become extinct because he chose to beleive that normal is abnormal.

I have had the pleasure of being with some intact men and have never noticed odor or disease because they all know that a ritual cleansing before and after sex prevents the need for ritual/ routine circumcision as they were taught by their informed parents.

At the same time I learned of the causes of my sexual dysfunction I also learned of manual foreskin restoration techniques and began right away. 7 years later I have enough shaft skin to masturbate correctly with and find it erotically rewarding and I can now dock with my partner. Since Catholics also teach that homosexuality is a sin, preventing docking is the most likely reason they choose to perform the Mosaic sacrifice against their Catholic indoctrination. Chop low to the Catholic Hippocrates. Some of them develope PTSD flashbacks to the original trauma and develope false memories that cause them to accuse their fathers and priests of painful molestation. Now they are paying for their ignorance.

Circumcision = The Apocalypse of Mankind

Anonymous said...

Clare,
Thanks for sharing your opinion and comments - I agree with you.
I'm the youngest of five brothers and we are all intact. We are grateful to our parents and especially to our mother who didn't believe in unnecessary surgery. Our Mother believed all males have a foreskin for a reason - otherwise it wouldn't be there.
Maybe a good example of this is the fact that many thousands of men here in the United States are in the process of restoring their foreskins. Obviously, these are not satisfied or happy circumcised men.
Frodo.5, Males having Foreskins - if it was to be otherwise it would be. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - maybe someday you will be able see that all that is natural is inherently beautiful.

Anonymous said...

frodo.5 said...
"Clarey, I'm afraid I'm going to circumcise my kid if it's a male. I do have a reason other than conforming to social norms though: I think uncircumcised willies are gross. Were I were a woman, I would not want that nasty thing inside of me! I suppose I don't see it as any more immoral than cutting a kid's toenails or hair, all permanence aside."

Hmmmmm. I think a skinned & denudded penis is rather pitiful looking. It's raw and over-exposed. And everytime I see that scar around the shaft, I just cringe.

By the way, I am female.

Without a gliding mechanism, also called a foreskin, I imagine masturbation is not quite the same for you. I KNOW SEX ISN'T. I've been with both.

Sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

As the mom on two intact children, I totally agree with you.
And while I agree that circumcision is something a parent must choose to do or not do, and while I respect your decision not to try to push your beliefs on your clients, I really wish you would at least bring up the option of leaving boys intact and the harm circumcision can do with all your clients. Many parents simply do not know leaving boys intact is an option. Or, so many feel it's so harmless, like trimming nails or hair (such as Frodo.5), and if they really knew what it entails, they would leave their sons genitals alone.
Have you ever seen a circumcision video? They are out there on the web. They are powerful tools to use. Maybe you could recommend your clients watch a video and they would most certainly leave their children intact.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.