"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Either Enlighten me or Leave Me Alone

These lyrics have been running through my head a lot lately. The song is on my "Canciones del año 24" mix which will be complete in July. I think about it whenever I realize that I'm trying to talk to someone who doesn't have anything to say (anything to teach me). I want to talk to people who engage my thoughts and beliefs; I have no time for people who are not adding to my knowledge or understanding. So these lyrics, to me, echo the song "Psychokiller" by the Talking Heads, especially their line, "You start a conversation--you can't even finish it. You're talking a lot, but you're not saying anything. When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed. Say something once, why say it again?" Those are my sentiments in a nutshell. If you all haven't heard this song, GO FIND IT. It's worth it. If you want me to email it to you, let me know.

"Meantime" by The Futureheads

I wasn't laughing properly, when you were talking to me
I didn't find it funny, your story didn't do it for me
False conversations, false conversations
And you thought that I was joking when I said you were a moron
When I said it I was smiling, so you thought that I was joking

It's easy to try. it's easy any time
We can talk if we like
Let's forget it for the meantime
False conversations, a waste of time, false conversations
It's not interesting to have false conversations
You've stolen all your stories and I don't have the patience

It's easy to try, it's easy any time
We can talk if we like
Let's forget it for the meantime
It's easy to try, it's easy any time
We can talk if we like
Let's forget it for the meantime

You are a decent person and you have a function
So why do we say hello? it's just a fashion that we follow that we should be forgetting
But then you do it again, you do the same again
You are a decent person and you have a function
So why do we say hello? it's just a fashion that we follow that we should be forgetting
It's a fashion that we follow that we should be forgetting
It's a fashion that we follow that we should be forgetting
But then you do it again, you do the same again

It's easy to try, it's easy any time
We can talk if we like
Let's forget it for the meantime
It's easy to try, it's easy any time
We can talk if we like
Let's forget it for the meantime

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Would you send me the Talking Heads song and the Futureheads song, please?