"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

La pura vida

Today, Clare, you are motivated by the irresistible need of changes. You want to rebel against the very foundations of your life. Your entourage might not appreciate this frame of mind and you might even feel that they are moving away from you. Anyhow, don't be afraid to go beyond the boundaries of your normal life today.

I really like these horoscopes! They are useful and usually right on target! They seem to be honest and don't just pander to ideas of wish-fulfillment. The website I receive them from is www.astrocenter.com, and I highly recommend it. I certainly don't live my life by horoscopes, but I do find it helpful to meditate upon a particular theme each day; it's something to focus on and be mindful of in my interactions with others and with the world. Anyhoo--if that kind of thing rows your canoe.

Yesterday I had my advising appointment with Luke to discuss my academic calendar for next semester, and through graduation. He suggested that I go ahead and declare my second (anthropology) major. He reserved my spot in two Honors seminars: Classical Archaeology of Greece and Rome with Dr. Hale, who is AMAZINGLY COOL (he also does underwater archaeology and is famous for, among other things, his research at the Oracle of Delphi which proved that the priestess/spiritual medium was totally high on cave fumes when she communicated her revelations, which is, by the way, not to invalidate them, because having spiritual experiences while on drugs doesn't make them any less real, I believe), and the seminar on Urban Waters which is part of a larger collaboration between Metro Louisville and the Honors Program to increase environmental education and change in Louisville. Another one of the seminars in that series will help to plan a new park in Louisville! and another one will deal will the geo-political problems in environmental study. There are a few others, but those were the most interesting to me. Urban Waters will look at water quality in Metro Louisville through direct observation, meaning we will canoe on ALL the streams in Jefferson County, of which there are 790! I'm really looking forward to it.

After my advising appointment Luke lent me his "best of 2006" compilation, which I copied into my iTunes. He called it "2006: The Year of Balls!" which is a little nod to marriedtothesea.org (see picture below). It's a fantastic collection of songs; among my favourites, right off the bat, are:

"Store Bought Bones" by the Raconteurs
"UMO" by this crazy Japanese girl band called OOIOO
"Jenny Again" by Tunng
"We Are the Sleepyheads" by Belle & Sebastian
"Young Folks" by Peter, Bjorn and John
"Daydreamin'" by Lupe Fiasco featuring Jill Scott

But ALL the music is SO GOOD. Ahhhh.... Good music. It's been a long time since I made any effort to listen to music. I have missed it. Thomas has been playing a bit o' Bowie lately, which has been lovely, and I've been listening to some Dead Prez and Regina Spektor and Caetano Veloso, but not enough. NOT. ENOUGH. Must have more music. Music = happy. Music = strength and energy to greet the day. I forget that sometimes because I get so focused on NPR and keeping up with current events. *sigh*... one must 'un-plug' a little with some regularity, or one wilts.


Married To The Sea
marriedtothesea.com

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love the phrase "if that rows your canoe"...and the fact that you followed it with talking about a literal canoe. Horoscopes row my canoe, too, as does good music. May I suggest "Mil Besos" by Patty Griffin. I'll send it to you if I can figure out how to authorize you (I actually bought it). ANYWAY. Love you!

Clare said...

thanks! i heart Patti Griffin. is 'Mil Besos' from her new albúm?

Anonymous said...

hey y'all! i wish i could be part of this conversation, but i don't know anything about music.
although i sing a fair amount of frere jacques and BINGO, and the occasional twinkly twinkle (highly recommend it)
love you guys..