"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Just Another Facebook

Spanish word of the day: Envenenada (adj): poisoned.

Well, I did it. I joined Facebook. I am officially a college student now, full and initiated. It was sort of scary, actually, to join the network, but I knew that I had to be a part of it. I think of myself as the kind of person who cares about being plugged into as many people as possible, and what better way to do that than the forum of Facebook? It's an amazing phenomenon, really. To connect so many people in such a social and personal way, completely using fiber optic cable and ethernet connections.... It's pretty cool. I think it's a further expression of the technological manifestation of the very sincere human desire to be aware of and concerned about and interested in each other. --So, despite my reservations about the collision between one's personal and professional life everyone keeps talking about, I'm a joiner. Go me!

I am reading Anthropologist on Mars right now, and at the very front of the book are two quotes which I would simply like to leave with you here, and then I'll go (busy as I am enjoying my free time, unencumbered by school!!!):

"The universe is not only queerer than we imagine, but queerer than we CAN imagine." - J.B.S. Haldane

"Ask not what disease a person has, but rather what person the disease has." - (attributed to) William Osler

No comments: