"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Monday, May 01, 2006

Anchovies, Hamper.

SPANISH WORD OF THE DAY: enchufes. (en-choo'-fays) noun, literally, an electrical outlet. Slang, however, has them as powerful people that you know. People who can "hook you up," so to speak. For example: "How did you get box seats to the Derby?" "Enchufes, hombre. I serve coffee to Bob Bafford's dog's trainer's shrink."

This blog is such a nice cranny in which to hide. Much better than writing my two final papers for the semester. Bwahahahaha. I am working on campus today (getting paid, in other words, to sit here and listen to music and surf the net). I'm listening to a band called Nothing Error, headed by Doug Hill, of whom I know little but wish to know more. His band's got an EP out called I Am Here to Break Your Heart. His myspace website can be viewed here, for those of you interested in edgy yet not exhibitionist punk, full of feeling but little frustrated tire spinning, like so much "punk" music is these days:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=5297528.

At this particular moment, I'm listening to a track called "Down," the best line of which is "I'm not to blame\It's not my fault\That all your wounds\Filled up with salt." Probably not the kind of thing a Louie Prima lover such as Michael Jackman would enjoy, but perhaps Grant (of Reginald Meeks' fame...go publicly elected officials and their interns!) or Andy Bart (of recent birthday fame) would be into it.

Speaking of Michael Jackman, I pleasantly ran into him last week at Heine Bros on Chenoweth. I was there to meet a classmate to study for our Spanish final later in the week (hence the paucity of presence here on Barefoot and Married last week, sorry. Finals take precedence), and he happened to be there, for I'm not sure what reason. It can, I suppose, be chalked up to the fact that Jackman is ubiquitous in coffeeshops, as any good writer ought to be. Coffeeshops have everything the writer needs: a decent wifi connection, plenty o' caffeine, electrical outlets and interesting people to look at. I only got to speak to him for a moment, but he mentioned that he recently had a commentary published in LEO, which I was delighted to hear. It's a great one, and I got to hear the audio version live a few weeks ago, right after he'd written it, when we met for coffee (of course) at Highland. Go read it! http://www.leovia.com/?q=node/1237 ...Also, his own website is extremely well-maintained and interesting. His writing is incisive, honest, self-deprecating, and of course hilarious. Here's a link to his website: http://www.mjfreelancer.com/

I'll go now, I suppose. I must finish writing about invented tradition. I shall force myself. Argh! (That was me making my tough face at myself.)

PS WTF is up with Bush? Does he WANT hippie liberals to take up arms against him or what? see picture below.



PPS. The title for the blog entry today comes from the spellcheck on blogger.com. It wanted to change "Enchufes, hombre." To "Anchovies, hamper." It doesn't get better than that, now does it? Furthermore, it wanted to call Bob Bafford Bob byproduct. How unfortunate! Also, Blogger's spellcheck does not recognize "blog" as a word. --Ironic, ¿no?

No comments: