"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Vegan Zucchini Bread!

I just made some vegan zucchini bread for the first time this week. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. I based my recipe on one that I found on a blog (Rain Rain Go Away). I modified the sugar content and a few of the ingredients. Also, my recipe was mostly zucchini with just one yellow squash, whereas Rain Rain's recipe had all kinda squash up in there. The result of my efforts was a spicy, moist, cake-y bread with lots of flavor! Here's the recipe, in case y'all are interested:

Dry ingredients:

* 3 c. all-purpose flour
* 2 tsp. cinnamon
* 2 tsp. baking soda
* 1 tsp. baking powder
* 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
* 1/2 tsp. salt

Wet Ingredients:

* 2 c. coarsely grated summer squash
* 1/2 c. canola oil
* 1 1/2 c. honey* or maple syrup
* zest of 1 lime

Mix all dry ingredients together. Set aside. Mix all wet ingredients together. Add dry ingredients. Spoon into bread tin or muffin cups and bake at 375ºF according to which baking tin you used (see below), or until bread turns a deep, delicious, autumnal golden brown.

MUFFINS: ~ 15 minutes
MINI LOAVES: ~ 20 minutes
REGULAR LOAVES: ~ 35 minutes
MINI MUFFINS: ~ 12 minutes

I believe this bread would taste fantastic with raisins in it. You could alter this into carrot cake by reducing the amount of squash and substituting it for grated carrots (add a little extra grated carrot for good measure).

* I realize that honey is not vegan, but it's just so damn delicious. I usually get local honey from Shepherdsville or Shelbyville.

No comments: