"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

WHY isn't someone impeaching Bush?

It makes me sad that the Bush administration even has to be reminded that we do not live in a dictatorship or a monarchy. Please see John Yarmuth's response to an email I sent regarding US military action against Iran.

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding Congress’ role in preventing a potential war with Iran. I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter and am pleased to report that we are in agreement.

In fact, I am proud to be a cosponsor of H.Con.Res. 33, legislation which expresses the sense of Congress that the President should not initiate military action against Iran without first obtaining authorization from Congress. This legislation clarifies that obtaining congressional authority prior to taking military action against Iran is not discretionary; it is a legal and Constitutional requirement.

H.Con.Res.33 is currently pending in the House Committee on Foreign Affairs. I am hopeful the legislation will move soon, and will certainly do all I can toward this end. Clearly, the debate in Congress regarding Iran is far from over. As the situation develops in the weeks and months ahead, I hope I can continue to count on the benefit of your advice. Thank you again for sharing your views, and please do not hesitate to contact me in the future with any issue of concern.

If you would like to learn more about my work in Washington and in Louisville, please visit my website at www.yarmuth.house.gov where you will find the latest news, my weekly schedule, video from hearings, and information about constituent services. You can also sign up for my e-newsletter to receive periodic updates on important issues and services for your family.

Sincerely,

John Yarmuth
Member of Congress

No comments: