"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Will I Go to Heaven or the Other H (Holiday Inn)?



Have I mentioned lately how hilarious I find the webcomic Married to the Sea? They actually haven't been that great lately, but the one for today is a true classic. As you can see. This interpretation of the metaphyscial geographic possibilities of the afterlife seems as valid to me as the various other ones propegated by the Catholics and the Protestants et al. Personally, I choose "Over There." Seems like fewer expectations Over There. What if I WENT to heaven and got all horribly disappointed because I thought I'd have wings and a harp and white robes and clouds and sunshine and choral "aaaaaaahs" all the time and stuff? But when I actually got there it was basically like a Holiday Inn but with free HBO and mini-bar.

Hmmm. Something to look forward to, in any case.

PS Please forgive the syntax and diction; I've been watching a LOT of Buffy today. It's manifesting itself.

PPS Don't you think it's really funny when people use transitive verbs intransitively? It's my favourite kind of linguistic humour. "Jacqueline did" rather than "Jacqueline did it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

of course! transitive verbs are far more interesting when used intransitively. PS I'd take a Holiday inn mini-bar over singing angels any day.