"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Friday, July 28, 2006

Swear Eternal Friendship to Beauty

"In each person I catch the fleeting suggestion of something beautiful and swear eternal friendship with that."

-- George Santayana

This is the way to always love people: to see the good in them and believe in that goodness. I love this quote because it is such a perfect crystallization of why and how I seem to enjoy almost everyone's company, and why it's possible to be an optimist. It's an interesting meditation, especially when one forces oneself to find and see the beauty in others normally considered anathemic to oneself. Such as George W. Bush.

But when one can look and see the beauty in any one person, one never wants for compliments, or hope, or allies, or friends.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I think our spiritual aims are in sync right now. You have a much more positive way of putting it, though. I'm just trying to remind myself that everyone (including me) is part of the universe, and makes mistakes, and deserves to be loved.

...Including George W. Bush.

I can't wait to see you soon - I hope you had a wonderful trip.