"Every moment of one's life, one is growing into more or retreating into less." - Norman Mailer

Friday, November 24, 2006

What will those crazy techies think up next?

This is one of the crazier things I've seen lately. Every time I think I can sort of envision the path technology will take, my inklings are completely blown out of the water! I am totally amazed by this. Check it out:

http://www.vonage.com/vonagevphone/#

I think traditional land line phones will be virtually extinct in the next 50 years. We have already eliminated public land line pay phones. Many people use their cell phone as their main personal line--and quite a few of them don't even have a landline in addition to their cell. Most larger companies and institutions have inegrated their phone systems with their internet systems, and they all have DSL. USB online phones seem like the next logical step for the consumer...

Although, all this switch to high-speed info makes the necessity of more fiber optic cable laying an absolute necessity. How are we to manage the increased traffic and utilization of this fantastic technology without supporting it with more infrastructure?

Anyhoo. How cool is Vonage?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it will be REALLY interesting when we run out of cheap and available oil, and we can't make plastics or metals or operate the machinery necessary to support our high-tech lifestyle.
i guess the only reasonable solution to this is that we'll all have to be trained in telepathy and telekinesis.

Clare said...

who are you? ...are you my conscience?